The thyroid gland produces hormones which are called T4 (thyroxine) and
T3(triiodothyronine) and another one called calcitonin which helps
regulate calcium stores in the body.
These hormones have an impact the metabolic processes in the body. The
pituitary gland (a tiny organ found at the base of the brain) releases
thyroid stimulating hormones to regulate the production of thyroid
Lesser Known Facts About Thyroid
- The pituitary gland plays a role in underactive thyroid symptoms.
- The adrenal gland function is also known to play a major role in underactive thyroid symptoms.
- Women are more prone to thyroid disorders than men.
- Iodine is essential to form both T3 and T4 hormones. That’s the reason iodine deficiency can lead to thyroid.
- Stress is a major factor that affects the thyroid.
- Many abnormalities of the thyroid are seen during times of pre-menopause and pregnancy.
What Are The Causes Of Thyroid Disorders?
Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, also called as chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis
or autoimmune thyroiditis, is the most common cause of hypothyroidism.
And the most common cause of hypothyroidism is iodine deficiency which
occurs when there is a decreased intake of iodine.
What Are The Functions Of A Healthy Thyroid Gland?
1. Stimulates protein synthesis.
2. Maintains normal body temperature.
3. Increases the BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) in all the cells.
4. Lowers blood cholesterol levels.
5. Increases the use of glucose and fats for energy production.
6. Aids in body growth.
7. Enhances the effects of adrenaline and noradrenaline.
These Are The 12 Silent Signs Of A Thyroid Problem
About 12 Million women around the world aren’t aware of these signs, so here’s a guide. .
1. Feeling Sad And Depressed
One of the silent signs of the thyroid is jittery feeling. A lot of
brain stimulation takes place at this time, so it excites you to such an
extent that you don’t feel good about it.
Frequent constipation is another silent sign. The thyroid hormones aid
in keeping your digestive track running. An over-active thyroid gland
can change your bowel movements by slowing down the action of the
digestive tract leading to constipation.
3. Sleeping Too Much
Daytime tiredness can be a sign of underactive thyroid. This occurs when
your thyroid glands aren’t able to produce thyroid hormones which the
body needs to provide energy.
4. Hair Loss And Dry Skin
Hair loss, especially in the eyebrows is a sign of a thyroid disorder.
An overactive or underactive thyroid disrupts your hair growth cycle.
When the thyroid hormones are imbalanced, hair thinning is common.
5. Sudden Weight Gain
An underactive thyroid causes sudden weight gain because the lack of
thyroid hormones decrease metabolism and burns fewer calories.
6. No Sexual Interest
An underactive thyroid causes sexual dysfunction like disinterest in
sex. Low sex drive or lesser arousal in women are more often
7. Muscle Pain Or Tightening
Muscle pain or weakness in the muscles may occur as a result of having
an underactive thyroid or an overactive thyroid. People with thyroid
problems may experience muscle tightening, aches and cramping.
8. Fluttering heart
Excess production of thyroid hormones causes heart palpitations, chest pain and heart failure.
9. Fuzzy head
Experiencing brain fog is another sign that your thyroid isn’t working
right and neither is your brain. An underactive thyroid may cause brain
fog or overall mental fatigue that can make it difficult for you to
10. High Blood pressure
Increase in blood pressure is another symptom of thyroid disorder. An
overactive thyroid or an underactive thyroid can cause high blood
pressure. You may feel restless, palpitations, and sweating.
11. Neck Or Throat Discomfort
A neck or throat discomfort includes swollen, tender, tight or feeling
full in the neck or throat. If the thyroid nodules grow large, it can
cause swelling in the neck, making it difficult to swallow food.
12. Increased Appetite And Changes In Taste Buds
An overactive thyroid causes an increase in metabolism and people may
often experience that their appetite has increased and they are eating a